LRD Booklets March 2002

Winning equal pay - a trade unionist's guide

buy now

Introduction (547 words)

Despite initial progress on closing the gender pay gap after the introduction of the Equal Pay Act in 1970, full-time women workers still earn ...

1. What is the gender pay gap? (637 words)

Women's full-time average hourly earnings are currently 82% of male full-time earnings, leaving a gap of 18% between women's earnings and men's. This is ...

2. Causes of the pay gap (2272 words)

One of the successes of the Equal Pay Act is that women are no longer paid differently for doing the same jobs as men ...

3. The law on equal pay (4532 words)

All workers, regardless of age, length of service or gender, have the right not to suffer sex discrimination in relation to their pay. The ...

4. Action to close the pay gap (2232 words)

An important report on the gender pay gap by the Equal Pay Task Force, set up by the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC), found that ...

5. Negotiating for equal pay (4320 words)

Union representatives in the workplace have an important role to play in ensuring that women receive fair pay for the work that they do. ...

Further information (255 words)

The Labour Research Department (LRD) publishes a series of booklets for trade union representatives. Relevant titles include Work-life balance - a negotiator's guide,October 2001; ...