Labour Research February 2011

Health & Safety Matters

McDonald’s blinding

Fast food chain McDonald’s has been fined £20,000 plus costs for a breach of safety regulations after an employee at its drive-through branch at Wandsworth Bridge, London was partially blinded by an acid-based cleaning product.

Wandsworth Council’s environmental health spokesperson councillor Sarah McDermott said: “No risk assessment was carried out to ensure this product was safe to use.... This was a very serious lapse in the company’s internal procedures”.